Saturday, July 9, 2011

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Exchange

OK, so there's nothing like jumping into the blogging world with both feet! I am linking this up with The Chicka Chicka Linky Party at

Me and Marie Learning

to share a fun idea that my class participated in last year!  

The wonderful teacher who coordinated it last year isn't able to this year.  So..... I'm hoping that my fellow bloggers (sounds so funny since I'm still fumbling my way through this process) will want to join in the fun!

Here's my bulletin board from last year.


     



A few close ups of the letters we received and notes from other classes.

R was definitely a favorite: rainbow, red roof, race cars on the road.

Very simple letter u, with upside-down umbrellas.

Notice the foam ear with the dangling earring on the letter e? This was one of our favorites! 
Letters (correspondence) from all of our Chicka Chicka Boom Boom friends!

And our map (Dollar Tree) that me marked our letter's originating locations on.



During our shared writing, we brainstormed a list of things that started with our letter D.  Then I started collecting those items. We used stickers, clipart I printed that the kids colored and cut out, and real items - a dime and a diamond (scrapbooking bling!).  I made letters cut on the die cut machine from school, and the kids glued one of each item on each of the letter sets.

We composed our note to send with our letters during shared writing, everyone signed it, and I made copies.

The kids stuffed the envelopes, put the mailing labels and return address labels on, and off to the post office I went.  There were some 1st grade classes that had students address the envelopes or write the notes to accompany the letters by hand!  They were really cool, but I thought it was a bit much for my class that early in the year.

It was a great experience for my kids, and the school secretaries even got into it.  They knew when the new letters came in the mail and visited our room frequently to see the evolution of the Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Tree!

So, here's how the exchange will work:
  1. Email me and let me know you want to participate.  Info I need from you: Your name, or class name, address of where letters should be mailed to, and an email address for the fall, if it's different than the one you use during the summer.
  2. Each participant will decorate 25 uppercase and 25 lowercase letter ( plus one set to keep - or your alphabet won't be complete) of your assigned letter. You mail your completed letters by the first week in October.  You can send them earlier (which is fun because the letters trickle in instead of coming all at once) but I wouldn't send any before Labor Day because some don't start back to school until after Labor Day.
  3. I will send participants an email with more detailed instructions and template to print address labels for mailing.
If you are up for some Chicka Chicka Boom Boom fun, email me.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...