Thursday, March 8, 2012

Syllable Sorting Freebie

Just a quick post to share a syllable sorting activity that I made for literacy work stations next week.  Today while working on syllables during our daily auditory battery routine I realized that many of my ELL students are really having trouble with syllables.  We will continue our auditory work, but I wanted to give them some more practice in our literacy work stations.  This station has a pocket chart sort, a cut and glue sort, and an option for write the room.  For my kids that can clap out syllables they will also have the option to create their own syllable sort using blank syllable cards.



Google Docs is being a bit weird tonight with the preview, so let me know if you are having trouble downloading it. 



We have also been doing a fun "Kiss Your Brain" activity with syllables.  We found 100 Hershey's Kisses on the 100th Day of school, but then I forgot to pass them out to the kids at the end of the day.  So I instituted the Kiss Your Brain Jar.  At the end of our literacy block I asked the kids to give me 4 syllable words.  If they came up with a word, we clapped it out and then wrote their name on the board.  At the end of the day, they kiss their brilliant brain and pick a Hershey Kiss from the jar.  This has been a huge hit!  I have kids running up to me in the morning to tell me 4 syllable words they came up with last night.  I think I am going to have to fancy up the jar, and change out the skill periodically, because my little accident has turned into a great motivator!

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Great minds think alike!!! LOL
    Love this! Thanks for sharing!
    BTW.... I'm your newest follower!
    Ms. McBee’s Kinderbugs

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...