Saturday, July 9, 2011

Building Number Sense

I was late ordering my Math Work Stations book, so I'm still waiting on it.  I wanted to share a very simple resource that I used at the beginning of the year and then built on.



I printed and laminated these and used them in a pocket chart at the beginning of the year.  As I introduced a number, I would also introduce the various ways to represent the number.  These stayed in a pocket chart at the front of the room.  After I  had introduced the numbers through 10, all of the cards came out of the pocket chart and it became a Math Work Station.

This chart replaced the pocket chart near our work station for additional support (prints legal size)


Students used a pocket charts to sort the representations.  At the beginning of the year, the representations are simplistic.  For example, the domino representations have all the dots on one side with the other blank.  As the year when on and their ability to subitize developed, I added mixed dominoes, ten frames with two colors, and varying dice and coin combinations.

My teammate also created a workmat that we used to reinforce number representations, I'm sure she won't mind if I share, but I want to check first!  I'll post that later with the explanation and some pictures.

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I saw this via Pinterest. This is absolutely amazing! I have my students working on number this week; count, draw, write the word, etc. This will compliment that activity perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are sooo great. I was going to make this for my number wall but saw yours and they are perfect. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...