Sunday, July 31, 2011

Playdough Fun!

I love playdough, but I don't love to pay for Play-doh.  I'm always on the look out for ways to vary the playdough fun.  I also like to make playdough frequently, because let's face it homemade playdough + lots of little hands = petri dish for all sorts of things!


I found a new recipe for playdough that used crayons for the colorant! (found here) My first batch didn't go so well, and it seemed like it was taking way too long (maybe I'm just impatient), so I made a few modifications and I absolutely love it!  The crayons make the colors so vibrant!


Crayon Playdough Recipe
1 cup of flour
1/2 cup of salt
4 heaping teaspoons of Cream of Tartar
1-1/2 Tablespoons of oil
1 cup of warm water
1 teaspoon of vanilla, almond extract, or whatever scent you would like
  1. Mix flour, salt, and cream of tartar together well in a bowl.
  2. In large saucepan, heat oil and one broken crayon over medium heat until crayon is melted.
  3. Pour dry ingredients into oil, leaving the heat on.  Blend with a whisk until it is all mixed and resembles cornmeal.
  4. Pour warm water and vanilla into the saucepan and stir until it forms a ball and pulls away from the pan.
  5. Remove from pan and knead for 3-4 minutes.
  6. Enjoy!
I plan to put it to the test over the next two weeks at Jumpstart!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...