Sunday, February 26, 2012

Read Across America Shared Reading

OK, I know everyone is busy preparing for the big week next week - or maybe you're super organized and you're all ready to go - but I wanted to share what we will be using for our shared reading next week.  Just makes me happy!




It was inspired by the fabulous Mrs. Parker on TBA last week.  She shared an adorable Read Across America Bookmark, which I promptly printed for my class.  If you haven't already, you must go and download them immediately!

As I was reading the bookmark I thought this would be the perfect shared reading for next week.  It has some easy, peasy sight words for my struggling ones and some vowel teams for my higher ones.


Anywhoo, with Mrs. Parker's permission, I have made a large version for shared reading and a corresponding pocket chart version.  


If I had a red pocket chart I could have achieved the same effect with only white cards :)


For the shared reading:  I printed odd numbered pages on white and even numbered pages on red. I put the sentences together in strips, arranged them on a sheet of poster board, and then traced a hat shape around them with a Sharpie.  I had to used a second sheet for the brim of the hat and just taped them together.


Here is the shared reading.


Here is the pocket chart version. (Again, I alternated the pages between white and red when I printed)


And last but not least, an individual student sequencing sheet.


Thank you Mrs. Parker for your inspiration!  Wishing everyone an amazing week of Seuss-filled fun and learning! Pin It

10 comments:

  1. Love! I am printing this and using with my kiddos too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much...this will be wonderful for my students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that I just went on Pinterest I LOVE this I am printing it and using it tomorrow during Shared Reading time! Thanks so much! Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this on Pinterest as well! Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful! Thank you for being so kind and sharing it for FREE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found this on Pinterest. Love it!! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Mrs Parker and Mrs Krull for the wonderful shared reading idea. We are having our Foundation Phase Readathon Challenge for ages 6 to 9 at Germiston South Primary School in South Africa and our theme is Dr Seuss.Read anywhere .I will be using this for rhymes . THANK YOU THANK YOU VERY MUCH

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would you be willing to share the template you used to make the hat?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...